Child Relocation

Moving out of state with your child can be a wearisome process if you share custody with the other parent.Relocation custody actions can only be brought by a majority-parent or by a parent who shares an equal parenting-time schedule. The minority-parent may not bring a relocation action, but, instead, would bring a modification action, which applies very different standards from a relocation case.

If you are the primary parent or share equal parenting time and would like to relocate with your child, it is important that you consult with a family law attorney well in advance of your planned move. The court does not have the power to prevent a parent from relocating. However, the court’s power can prevent the child from relocating away from the other parent.  Relocation trials are one of the most complex child custody battles which is why it is important to hire a competent family law attorney who knows the ins and outs of relocation proceedings.

At the Cossitt Law Firm we practice exclusively in family law. We are skilled at representing parents who want to move with their children, and have drafted many long distance parenting plans. We will walk you through each step of your child relocation case. Call us today at 970-488-1887 to schedule a free consultation with one of our family law attorneys.

Due to Covid-19, your safety is our main concern. We offer remote consultations, call us at (970) 488-1887 to schedule a free consultation today.

Contact Us
close slider

Contact Us

Contact us or give us a call to discover how we can help.

Your Name?

Preferred Method?

Your Phone Number?

Email Address?

Your Subject?

Your Message?